The core mission of the Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People is to provide the possibility of studying in Hungary for young Christian students living in the crisis regions of the world and/or being threatened in their country because of their faith. After completing their studies, the scholarship holders will return to help their home community with their gained knowledge, and they will participate in the reconstruction of war-destroyed countries and contribute to improvement of social situation and preservation of culture of Christian communities.
Partner countries: Syria, Pakistan, Iraq, Israel and Palestine, Lebanon, Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia and Armenia
The Programme is managed by the Hungary Helps Agency.
- Tuition-free education
- exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend
- bachelor, master and one-tier master level: monthly amount of HUF 166 600 contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies; doctoral level: according to the current Hungarian legislation, for newcomers, it is monthly HUF 140 000 for the first phase of education (first 4 semesters) and HUF 180 000 for the second phase (second 4 semesters) for 12 months a year, until completion of studies;
- dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40 000 to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period
- Reimbursement of travel costs
- HUF 200 000 /year
- Medical insurance
- health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act No. 80 of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65 000 a year/person
Please bear in mind that these provisions are only a contribution to the living expenses of the Scholarship Holders. It means that it does not fully cover all the costs of living and the students need to add their own financial resources in order to cover all living expenses in Hungary. All applicants are highly advised to check the expected living expenses both in Hungary and in the city that they wish to live in before applying.
CALL for Applications for 2023/24
Application deadline: 31st January 2023 (23.59 Budapest time)
Applications will not be considered in the following cases:
a) Hungarian citizens (including those with dual citizenships), persons granted a refugee status (“menekült”), persons enjoying temporary protection (“menekültes”), persons admitted for subsidiary protection (“oltalmazott”) and persons granted humanitarian protection (“befogadott”), Please note: this requirement is not only for applicants but for Scholarship Holders as well; it means that, e.g., if you obtain a Hungarian citizenship or a refugee status during your studies in Hungary, your scholarship holder status will be terminated automatically.
b) Applicants born after 31 August 2005 (= applicants under 18 years old as of 31 August 2023).
c) Those applicants who are registered self-financed / fee-paying students of a Hungarian higher education institution at the time of the application deadline.
d) Those former SCY Scholarship Holders who were awarded scholarships for full degree studies and
- who are now re-applying for full degree in the same cycle of education (non-degree studies, bachelor’s, master’s, one-tier master’s), therefore, SCY Scholarship Holders can apply for the programme to continue their studies at a different cycle of education, e.g. bachelor scholarship holders can apply for master studies; or
- who have postponed the starting date of their scholarship studies and did not withdraw their scholarship before the current application deadline.
e) Former Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Holders can only apply for the programme for the next cycle of education while they still have a scholarship status at the time of application if they receive their degree until 31 August 2023 (eg. a bachelor student may apply for master studies if they get the bachelor degree by 31 August, 2023).
f) Doctoral scholarships are available only for those who have completed their master’s studies in the frame of the Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People in Hungary or are registered for the last semester of their studies in the 2021/2022 academic year as Scholarship for Christian Young People scholarship holders
► OPERATIONAL REGULATIONS (in effect as of 26 November 2021)
For more information, visit Hungary Helps Agency's website
In case you want to extend your studies, according to the Operational Regulations, you have to submit your request for extension to the university, to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The following documents must be attached to your email of request:
- Request form
- support letter signed by the head of the institute
- transcript of records (list of subjects you have completed)
Deadline within the university in autumn semester: 15 November, in spring semester: 30 April
► CHANGING STUDY PROGRAMME / LANGUAGE / INSTITUTION
In case you want to change your study programme and/or the language of instruction and/or the institution you have to submit a request to Hungary Helps Agency (email@example.com) attaching the following documents:
- a request signed by the scholarship holder an approval letter signed by the head of your current institute
- an approval letter signed by the head of your current institute
- an acceptance letter from the new/receiving institution (in case you want to change only the language of instruction, there is no need for this)
Deadline in autumn semester: 1st December, in spring semester: 15 May
Hungarian University of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Ms. Bernadett Gerháth Institutional Coordinator
Hungary Helps Agency